As we age, fine lines and wrinkles start developing on our faces that you might want to get rid of. In such a scenario, you may consider undergoing facelift surgery. It will provide facial rejuvenation and treat aging signs around your face and neck.
Unfortunately, you might be nervous because of stories of facelifts gone wrong which is why it’s essential to know certain aspects of the procedure before having it done so that you’re better informed. Below, we have listed five crucial aspects of facelift you must know.
1. Different types of facelifts – There are several types of facelifts, each suitable for a different area and severity.
- Comprehensive facelift- It lifts and tightens the lower face, upper face, and neck. The surgeon will make incisions in front, behind, and within the ear.
- Lower facelift or mini-lift- It only treats the bottom third of the face. It involves shorter incisions and less skin removal than a comprehensive facelift. It also takes less time, but the results may not last as long.
- Necklift- It addresses the neck only, either through a small incision underneath your chin or through an incision behind your ear. It is a great option if neck is your primary area of concern.
- Cheek lift or midface lift- It addresses aging signs near the cheekbones and involves minimal incisions.
2. Anesthesia and sedation options – Since it can be difficult to be still during the entire procedure, you may need to be sedated.
In general, there are 2 main anesthesia options. First is under general anesthesia where you are completely asleep. The second option is where you are sedated using a combination of oral or IV sedatives and pain medications. Both options were well but the choice depends on your surgeon’s discretion, your general health, the procedure, and your pain tolerance.
3. Recovery – After the facelift procedure, you will not be able to drive home, and you may have to be under observation for the first 24 to 48 hours. Ask a close friend, relative, or nurse to stay with you for the first week. You must also not lift anything heavy or drive during this time.
Pain during recovery varies from person to person. Initially, you will experience mild pain, swelling, and bruising immediately after the surgery that will get better over the first few days. You may be shocked to see swollen and squinty eyes and uneven lumps on your face but know that it is a normal and temporary after-surgery effect that often improves in one to three weeks.
4. What to look out for – Facelift can give you a dramatic and incredible result! However, like any surgery, there are a few things that you need to look out for. The following problems can happen but are generally minor in nature and go away with time.
- Hair loss or thinning
- Numbness or nerve damage
ABOUT NUVEAU PLASTIC SURGERY & MEDICAL AESTHETICS
A facelift is an effective surgical treatment to remove unwanted wrinkles and tighten your face. At Nuveau Plastic Surgery, we provide the best reconstructive and plastic surgery treatments in Houston, TX. Our highly efficient and experienced team is always looking to provide the best services to you. Call us at 713-999-1321 to schedule an appointment to know more information about facelift treatment in Houston, Tx.